Initial email contacts

I thought about what my main skills and interests are within my design practice and I came up with two main areas to research and possible paths to go down from this point forward:

Editorial design (typography & layout)
Photography (more specifically location photography)

Mark Porter works as an editorial designer and his website grabbed my attention as being one of effective simplicity. He uses his designs to speak for him with large thumbnails positioned centrally on his homepage acting as the impact statement to the site. His name and navigation bar sit behind the designs in a small yet unmissable font laid out down the left-hand side.















What makes Mark Porter so good:





















Magazine layouts designed by Porter that really stand out to me and make me want to create exciting pieces of editorial design:















Spread for ES; a Metropolitan magazine published free with the London Evening Standard
















The Guardian Weekend supplement

















Colours - Multilingual magazine for Benetton
















Wired Magazine

















Food Magazine - one of The Guardian supplements

















The Guardian Weekend

















Porter redesigned Publico, Portugal's newspaper.
I love this 5 column layout and impact full page image.


Cover designs like the travel supplement below are a possible way of linking my two paths together; using my photography skills to capture the image that would be used for the story and then layout the arrangement as a complete design combination.


































He also designs other materials, such as these cookery books designed for the River Cafe in London. The black and white photography and simple blocks of coloured titles working as a set, again combines my two favourite design elements, as well as working with a limited colour pallette, which is how I like to design.

No comments:

Post a Comment